Tuesday, 25 May 2010

The Gods In Unlikely Places

There is a statue of Isis on the grounds of the Herbert Hoover National Historic Site in Iowa.


She is veiled, and of a vaguely Greco-Romanish style judging by the draping of her robes. At her feet is an inscription in French (see it here) which, if I recall correctly, comes from Apuleius:

Je suis ce qui a ete, ce qui est et ce qui sera, et nul mortel na encore leve le voile que me couvre.

Which translates, roughly, to "I am She who was, who is and who will be, and no mortal has ever lifted the veil that covers Me."

The statue was a gift from the Belgians (thus explaining why the inscription is in French) to President Hoover, for his humanitarian work on their behalf during WWI. She is holding something in her right hand which I can't identify. I wonder if any pagans or Kemetics in Iowa ever visit her, and bring her offerings.

1 comment:

  1. I love this statue and have for decades. She holds the triple flame, which to pagans, like me, means, maiden-mother-crone, the three stages of woman and the sacred feminine. She electrifies me. I have made pilgrimage to her. I named my daughter Isis in her honor. I could not believe in 85 when i found her that she exists anywhere, let alone in this country. Her power is huge. --John Darling, Ashland, Oregon

    ReplyDelete