Monday, 21 June 2010

Midsummer


Maybe it's cliched of me, but I have a copy of this painting; it goes nicely with my living room decor, which is a mix of Craftsman and antique weirdness. It's really quite brilliantly atmospheric, and if you stare at it long enough, spooky as hell. The deceptively warm glow of the fairy* ring around the protagonist's feet stands in sharp contrast to the eldritch gleam of the forest depths behind her. Would you like to wander that wood alone late at night? I didn't think so. Gods only know what's lurking in there. Assuming you make it out of that fairy ring alive, that is; contrary to popular modern belief, the little people of ancient legend were not always kindly disposed toward humanity. Clearly she summoned them with her flute; but that doesn't mean they'll necessarily be inclined to let her leave.


There are woods behind my house, and I'm pleased to report that I've never seen quite that glow emanating therefrom. Of course, I also don't go out deliberately trying to stir up anything that I'm not very certain that I can deal with upon its arrival...


May your Midsummer be a happy one!



* I refuse to use any of the insufferably twee spellings such as faerie or feyrie, dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment