Saturday, 17 July 2010

Uplifting Messages

The Baptist church marquee was particularly uplifting today. It said

I already deserve Hell

I don't have to do Anything More

(The caps were even more random, but I can't recall them precisely.)

Cheerful, that. Imagine a worldview--imagine a personal state of mind--in which you are so flawed, so inherently BAD, that you believe yourself to be worthy of an eternity of unimaginable torment, simply for having been born. I find that I can't imagine that, actually; that's profound mental illness, not a spiritual system. (Though in my more cynical moments, I am hard-pressed to tell the difference between the two.)

I find that I'm less offended by these screeds than I am filled with a bone-deep sorrow. How horrible must it be to live your life under that kind of internal tyranny. I am deeply, deeply grateful that my mind does not work that way.

1 comment:

  1. Um, yeah...back in the day when I was still a good little churchgoing girl (up to the age of 16), I thought that it was God's will for me to kill myself but that I would go to Hell for doing what God wanted, but that I was being punished every day I didn't do His will. Can't imagine what I thought would have happen had I died accidentally or by illness...

    I am incredibly grateful that I don't live or think like that anymore.

    But really, I woulda gone in to the church that day and been like "Wow! You've qualified for Hell, too?! That is *hardcore*! This church must be the place to restock on my puppy dog tails and unbaptized infant fat..."

    Church guilt-trips are the stupidest thing I can think of. Love-bombing works way better...I mean, look at cult followers-it takes *professional* de-programmers to try and shake their faith, whereas living in this world with any level of self-awareness is enough to drive people away from the church they're raised in.

    ReplyDelete