Thursday, 7 October 2010

At the harvest festival

Earlier tonight, we went to the annual harvest festival that's been held in my hometown since the year I was born. It's a seasonal tradition for me, one of the signs of fall's sure arrival; I even won their pumpkin decorating contest when I was about 10, and still have the cornucopia-shaped trophy I was awarded. It's a street fair, with the usual deep-fried Twinkie (and cheesecake, and Reese's Cups, and Snickers...) and funnel cake booths, crafts and baked goods peddled by smiling church ladies--quintessential small-town stuff. And you never know what you might find.

There was one booth filled with serious Halloweeny goodness, very well-made and aesthetically appealing fiber-art decorations. Among the items available were "potion bottles," each with an affixed label featuring the main ingredient (all of them taken from Shakespeare!) and a mystical symbol. Clearly someone had done a bit of Googling for appropriate symbols with which to decorate witches' potion bottles, because all of them were recognizable, actual occult symbols. And then I saw this


on one of the bottle labels. I complimented the nice lady on her work (it all really was very well done) and we were off. That made me LOL. Oh crafts lady, if only you knew!


1 comment: